Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Trusting Him ...and Gaining His Peace


Let’s face it….  We all have fears…  We all struggle with the issue of trust…  I know I do.  I worry about something happening to my husband and son.  More than I care to admit, actually.  I worry if my husband and I made the right decisions for our son’s well-being.  I worry when my husband goes to sea with the Coast Guard for several weeks, leaving our baby and myself home alone.  I worry that my husband is safe while doing his work at sea, and I worry about if something would happen to the baby and me while we are home.  You get the point…I worry a lot.  In other words, I have many fears.  And I struggle to trust Him with those fears.  The scary part is…I am not even THAT big of a worry-wart!  I still have a ways to go…but in comparison with some people, I am truly not that bad.

But it comes down to trusting Him.  And it comes down to having the peace that He gives us when we trust Him with everything.  Yes, everything…even the most important things.  And for me, that means my family – first, my husband and son…then my parents, siblings, best friends, in-laws, etc.  And it is not easy for me.  At all. 

Photo Courtesy
Yet in the midst of all of this, I am not supposed to worry.  I am supposed to trust Him and have His peace settle within me as a result of this.  Philippians 4:6-7 (NKJV) states: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

Not an easy verse is it?  It is one thing to think it.  It is one thing to say it.  But it is a totally different thing to LIVE it.  It is a natural, human problem….but that doesn’t mean we just ignore it.  It means we need to confront it and get on top of it.  And encouraging one another to do so, is one way to diminish the problem.

I was reading some quotes the other day, and I found them very encouraging, as well as challenging, for this exact topic.  I hope you find them to be the same – and that you are encouraged that others do struggle with trusting Him and finding His peace…but in the end, He is always there for you.  He will take care of you and your loved ones.  And no matter what…He has a plan.  

Photo Courtesy
 “If our minds are stayed upon God, His peace will rule the affairs entertained by our minds.  If, on the other hand, we allow our minds to dwell on the cares of this world, God’s peace will be far from our thoughts.” – Woodrow Kroll

“Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment; … but trust in God, and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity.” – Dwight L. Moody

“The foundation of the Christian's peace is everlasting; it is what no time, no change can destroy. It will remain when the body dies; it will remain when the mountains depart and the hills shall be removed, and when the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll. The fountain of His comfort shall never be diminished, and the stream shall never be dried. His comfort and joy is a living spring in the soul, a well of water springing up to everlasting life.” – Jonathan Edwards

“Only he who can say, ‘The Lord is the strength of my life’ can say, ‘Of whom shall I be afraid?’” – Alexander MacLaren

Photo Courtesy

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for voicing this out in your post. Not many people would come out and say that they are fearful. I admire your transparency there :) This post blessed and spoke to me, you see, I worry a bit :P I have a test to get into college coming up next Thursday and I am a little stressed about it. This gave me peace over it :P Thank you!

    I will pray for you and your family and Gods loving pretection over all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rachel! I pray that your test next week goes well! Keep us updated! :)

    ReplyDelete