Thursday, July 12, 2012

Up-Cycled Fuzzy Fabric



     Have you ever looked at the prices of fuzzy fabric in a craft or fabric store?  $12 and up per yard! OUCH! I don't know about you, but I can't afford to pay prices like that, but even if I could, I prefer to spend my money wisely and be as prudent as possible.  


     Well, what's a girl to do when she wants to make something out of fuzzy fabric?  I found a solution!  Earlier this year, Lisa had a little boy and I wanted to make him a very special fuzzy blanket from his auntie Missy.  Over a couple of weeks time, I visited several thrift stores and picked up old robes, crib liners, and pajama pants that were in good condition.  My trick for saving the most amount of money was to go to a thrift store when I knew they were having a 99 cent sale on certain color tags.  Once I found out which color tag was on sale, I went through the PJ section and only looked for that particular tag color.  After finding the right tag, then I would look at the item to see if it was in good condition and was something that I could use.   For regular clothes shopping, this approach would never work, but for fuzzy fabric it's great!  


     I used my up-cycled fuzzy fabric to make this cute puppy blanket.  I used two robes, one PJ shirt, one pair of PJ pants, and I still have so much fabric left over that I will be able to make something else later!  Altogether, the fabric for the top of this blanket coast me about $4.  I had to purchase a large piece of new fabric for the back - but it simple flannel that was on sale for $1.99 a yard!  


     Would you have ever guessed by looking at that cute puppy face? Probably not. 


Practical. Resourceful. Prudent.  - Learning to save and spend money like a Proverbs 31 woman. You can do it too!


~ Missy


Photo Courtesy


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the thrift shop idea, need to remember it the next time I'm looking for fabric!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete