Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Heart of Modesty - Guest Writer Tessa D.


The Heart of Modesty

Guest writer - Tessa D.

"How does a woman discern the sometimes fine line between proper dress and dressing to be the center of attention? The answer starts in the intent of the heart. A woman should examine her motives and goals for the way she dresses. Is her intent to show the grace and beauty of womanhood? Is it to reveal a humble heart devoted to worshipping God? Or is it to call attention to herself and flaunt her beauty? Or worse, to attempt to lure men sexually? A woman who focuses on worshipping God will consider carefully how she is dressed, because her heart will dictate her wardrobe and appearance. " —John MacArthur


"I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;  in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works" 
1 Timothy 2:9-10

A friend shared this excellent message on modesty with me, and I wanted to share it with you as well.This is such an important issue that is far to often ignored and it is so nice to hear a teaching that goes right to the the true issue that is at stake, the gospel of Jesus Christ.

By clicking here,you will be taken to the page where you can download the sermon by C. J. Mahaney.

By clicking here, you will be taken to a page that has a pdf document that you can download and print. It is a Modesty Checklist that the pastor's wife and daughters wrote.

I'm sure many of you have seen this video before, but every time I watch it I am convicted once again.


"Why do we make such a big deal about modesty? Please know that this isn’t about us imposing some kind of clothing standard. Modesty is important because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is an outward expression of a heart desire not to distract from or reflect poorly on the gospel. We have a gospel mission: not only to preach Christ, but to live in a way consistent with our profession of faith. May our modest dress be a witness to the One who gave Himself as a ransom for all. It is very important to us that you read the questions in the context of biblical truth. Otherwise, we all are prone to the temptation to turn a tool like this into a list of rules or to sinfully judge others who don’t agree or to excuse ourselves on a technicality. We want you to consider these questions in light of the beauty of God’s standard of modesty."
(Modesty Heart Check)
Photo Courtesy
  • What statement do my clothes make about my heart?
  • In choosing what clothes to wear today, whose attention do I desire and whose approval do I crave? Am I seeking to please God or impress others?
  • Is what I wear consistent with biblical values of modesty, self control and respectable apparel, or does my dress reveal an inordinate identification and fascination with sinful cultural values?
  •  Who am I trying to identify with through my dress? Is the Word of God my standard or is the latest fashion?
  •  Have I asked other godly individuals to evaluate my wardrobe?
  • Does my clothing reveal an allegiance to the gospel or is there any contradiction between my profession of faith and my practice of godliness?

                                                                                                        

I would highly recommend that you listen to this sermon in it's entirety, I know that you will be blessed by it. And if you are willing, please take the time to share this message. Thank you!

In Him,
Tessa

Originally posted at Proverbs 31 Wannabe. Used with permission from Tessa! :)

3 comments:

  1. This video is great! Thank you so much for a refresher on why I need to dress modestly.

    Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfuly written Missy! I love that video on modesty.

    Blessings,
    Leah Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah, yes I enjoyed this post as well. It was written by Tessa D. :)

      Delete