Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday Smiles - The Power of a Smile

The Power of a Smile :)


          Welcome to my NEW weekly post, “Saturday Smiles.”  Each Saturday, I plan to share with you a “Smile Story” to encourage you to smile more and help brighten the world around you.  I hope that with each post, you will realize the power of a simple smile.  I also plan to write about "The Joy of the Lord" and how the Lord's joy can be our strength through the most difficult moments in our lives.
Photo Courtesy


And now, (Drum roll, please)  the very first Saturday Smile Story! Tada!

Have you ever looked straight in the eye of a  cashier, waitress, receptionist, or just a random passerby and then given them the biggest smile that your face could possibly allow?  If you haven’t, your missing out on the fun!  

Whether I am at the bank, or I am just buying groceries at the supper market, I always try to make a habit of greeting the person helping me with a happy “Hello!” and giving them a big, bright smile.  

The reactions I receive in response vary hugely.  More than half of the time, the person I have greeted suddenly gets a very stunned look on their face - as if they had not seen a smile the entire day.  Many times, they will even tell me as much.  The point is, people don’t smile enough.  The world is filled with such angry and depressed people, who grumble and rush through their errands, often leaving people everywhere battered by their attitudes.  

Do I always “feel” like smiling when I go to the bank or store? Absolutely not!  There have actually been times when I have sat in my car for a moment before going in somewhere and prayed that the Lord would give me the strength to smile.  Why?  Because I have learned the power of a smile.  Try making smiling a habit, and you will see what I mean.  You have the power to either ruin or brighten someone’s day.  Which will you chose?


~ Missy
Photo Courtesy

In need of a reason to smile? 
          Psalms 30:5  "For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. "
Now that is something to smile about. :)





2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea (Saturday Smiles), I'll be looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! Made me smile the whole time while reading! :)

    ReplyDelete