Friday, January 27, 2012

Freezer Meals

With baby coming, I have been trying to make sure that I have meals in the freezer and ready to go after baby is born.  I don't want just any meals though...I don't want just any meals, however. I am talking healthy meals!  Now, I am not opposed to the average freezer pizza or anything like that from time to time.  I plan on stockpiling 2-3 of those, actually, for the days when I truly just want to pop something in the oven and have something a little bit less healthy.  But I don't want to buy freezer and microwave meals from the store to eat.  It's just not healthy...nor is it budget-sensitive.

Photo Courtesy
 Instead, I am prepping my own freezer meals.  I have another list
of things I can eat and make to put in the freezer.  All are easy to prep, and will be very easy to whip out of the freezer and cook up once baby comes.  What I might not have, however, is freezer space.  ;-)  Oops.  Oh well.  Who needs that anyway?

Photo Courtesy
My list of what to freeze (or what is already frozen) is this thus far:

  • 1 soup stock for chicken noodle soup
  • 2 pre-cut chickens for oven-fried chicken
  • 1 chicken divan casserole
  • 1 lasagna
  • 2 sliced up chicken strips for homemade, healthy chicken nuggets
Many of these also require a breading, so I am packaging the breading and mixes to go over them (for instance, the oven-friend chicken) in small plastic bags in my pantry.  Then all I have to do is grab the two, throw them together, and throw them in the oven.   I would like to do a lot more, and I am beginning to think that I would like to do this as a general rule...  Having ready-to-go meals will make my life a lot easier, but we'll see if I actually do that. 

What are some of your easy-to-freeze meals?  How do you prepare for meals ahead of time?

1 comment: