Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You Wear a ...... Skirt? (Part 2)

“There is Something Different…”
Posted by Missy on April 19th, 2011

Part 2 of : “You Wear a….. Skirt?”


In 1999, when I was about ten, we were forced to leave the mountainside and the house that my dad had built and move two hours north.  After we had been there for a couple of years, we joined a home schooling group and started taking a few classes there once a week.  
It was about that time that mom started making me wear a skirt to school.  I hated it, but she wanted me to look nice and there were several other families there who also wore skirts so that made it a bit easier.  After awhile, I not only got used to wearing a skirt to school, but I actually started to like it.  Though, I would have never admitted such a thing!  At this point in time, I was still so shy that I wouldn’t talk to anyone, but, I was a good observer and I liked to watch people.  I especially paid close attention to the other families in which the girls wore skirts.   There was something… different about them.  They were unlike any other families I had ever known and I wanted to be like them, though, I didn’t know why.



By the time I was fifteen, I was wearing skirts all the time.  I never did have a
good reason for it except for the fact that I wanted to be like those other families that were so different from everyone else.  It was about that time that a bunch of kids from public school joined our simple little home school group.  Everything changed after that.  To my shock and great disappointment,  the families that I had looked to and wanted to be like for so long were very quickly influenced by the new comers.  Almost all the skirts vanished and were replaced by tight jeans.  This didn’t bother me so much as the fact that the strong character qualities, that I had admired so much, began to vanish as well.  
I was discouraged, but for some reason, I just didn’t want to follow the same path that the others had taken.  I had seen something, not only in the way they dressed but in their characters that I wanted for myself and I wasn’t willing to let go of that yet.  By the time we left the school, my sister and I were almost the only ones left that clung to wearing skirts.  We had found something, though at the time we didn’t know what it was, and we didn’t want to let go of it. 


(Continued in Part 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment